Wednesday, April 1, 2009

19 Minutes

I've discovered a new fiction author that I really like, Jodi Picoult. This book, 19 Minutes, just happened to catch my attention last time I was at the library, and once I was into it, it was very hard to put down. In addition to some really good storytelling, she has some interesting 'one-liners' that she'll throw in here and there that I found very thought-provoking. I have very little time, but I'm just going to put this one in here real quick:

"Lacy stared at Alex through her tears. "Thank you," she whispered, and left before she broke down completely in front of a woman - a stranger, really - who could do what Lacy coundn't: hold on to the past as if it was something to be treasured, instead of combing it for clues of failure."

It's hard to really appreciate that out of the context of the story, but for me, as someone who has probably spent too much time 'combing my past for clues of failure,' it was a good reminder to take a look back into the past for all the good that is there....

Just an aside: If you do decide to read this book, it is a little rough in places with language, etc... so just a warning.


No comments: