Friday, October 21, 2011

I was looking back at some posts from this time last year and it was interesting to find that what I was doing a year ago looks almost exactly like what I am doing right now.  Liz Hurley run...  Getting ready for Huntsville vs. Grissom game...  although with both, the players have changed.  I ran with "Team Teri" last year and this year it was with Huntsville Gymnastics...  and last year I was getting ready for "Senior Night" with Mackenzie and today I am waiting for her and a friend to come home from college and Huntsville High is now Anna's school...   I guess a lot does change from year to year.

Speaking of change, I ran into an old college friend the other day that I hadn’t seen in quite a while.  We bump into each other every now and then around town.  We exchanged a quick hug, talked for a little while about our kids and what they are up to, and about what was going on in life.  At one point I was talking about Mackenzie and college and said, “I’m envious of Mackenzie…  I miss the old college days – wish I could go back…”   At this point she and I exchanged a little hint of an uncomfortable look between us because ‘back in the day’ we were really close friends and were an integral part of each other’s lives.  Today we are very far removed from that…  and it’s sad, partly because I know that a lot of the distance that exists between us is because I wasn't there for her when she needed me and I hurt her and we’ve never really gotten past it.  That’s a tough pill to swallow.  :(

I guess you can never really go back in time...  sometimes I get stuck thinking about what I'd like to 'do over' ... mostly these thoughts come in the form of 'doing things better' if I got the chance to and had the wisdom of hindsight on my side.  Sometimes the thoughts are kinda like what I was saying about going back to college and just enjoying times where life felt really good. 

Anyways, I am anticipating that this will be a weekend of good times and making good memories to draw on...  Mackenzie is bringing her friend Meleia home (who lives in Colorado, so it's a little far for her to go home for 'fall break' that is really only a long weekend!) and Anna has her friend Battle spending the weekend with us... so it will go from being very quiet around here to having a house full of girls for the weekend.  I'm definitely in need of the fun that will come along with having them all here...  yay!  :)

Hmmm... I wonder what this post will look like next year...  ?

No comments: