Saturday, February 6, 2010

Exodus 15:13

In your unfailing love you will lead
the people you have redeemed.
In your strength you will guide them
to your holy dwelling.

This verse came by way of my daily Bible reading today. I just finished up the plagues yesterday and today I was reading about the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. This verse is part of Moses' and Miriam's song of praise to the Lord for delivering them from Pharoh. I think it's neat that the idea of God being strong and God being loving that prompted my verse from a couple of days ago, shows up in this verse too... I think I've got a theme going here. :) But I'm also stuck on the word redeemed. Here's what Merriam-Webster has to say about it:

Redeem:
1
: to buy back : repurchase a : to get or win back
2 : to free from what distresses or harms a : to free from captivity by payment of ransom b : to extricate from or help to overcome something detrimental c : to release from blame or debt d : to free from the consequences of sin
3 : to change for the better : reform
4 : repair, restore

I'm just amazed at how God does this for us over and over again. He did it in a big way for the Israelites, bringing them out of a cruel captivity under Pharoh. He has certainly redeemed my life in the same way - rescuing me from the captivity of sin. And He continues to do that time and again, even when I fail Him.


It's a little bit scary to see, just 3 days after the Israelites had safely passed thru the Red Sea, that due to a lack of water and some difficult days in the desert, they were already wishing they could go back to the captivity that they had just been set free from! It seems so absurd when I read it in black and white in my Bible - but how about in my own life? How easily am I tempted back to the very things that I have been redeemed from? What kind of 'difficulty' does it take for me to lose sight of God's power and His plan and start grumbling and complaining - wishing for the "good ole days." I can forget so quickly - forgive me, Lord.

You know, the Israelites wouldn't have lasted beyond 3 days after the Red Sea if it hadn't been for God's UNFAILING LOVE and STRENGTH leading them. He is so patient. And I know I certainly would have no hope if, once redeemed, I was left to my own power to finish the journey. Praise God that I'm not - He is always there for me and I am so grateful. :)

No comments: