Thursday, September 29, 2011

Green Mountain Time (revisited)

So that was the title of my very first blog post which was just a little over three years ago.  It came back to mind today as I made my way up to Green Mountain for a walk with Mandy.  I took the picture below with my cell phone as we were winding down Big Cove Road... it was probably a little dangerous, but it just cracked me up when I looked over and saw her like that... 



Anyways, what a perfectly gorgeous day for a walk on the mountain today!!  I haven't been up there in quite some time and it was calling to me...  :)  The leaves are already beginning to turn and I had to promise myself to get back up there soon and take some pictures.  I'm doing some redecorating in my bedroom and I think a nice little 'collage' of Green Mountain pictures in the fall would be perfect in there. 

When I went back to my very first Green Mountain post - a long story about a wayward grasshopper - I was reminded of how troublesome life gets sometimes.  Last night, with our Club Xtreme class, we just happened to be talking about "Going through 'tuff' times."  (Mrs. Jimmy wrote this lesson and likes to spell things like that - ha!)  We read:

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

and

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." (John 14:1) 

We talked about the fact that trouble is a part of life here on earth.  You really can't escape it.  There was certainly trouble in my life then, and there is still trouble in my life now.  Seasons of life change, time marches on, troubles change in shape and form...  but we still have to deal with them.  So what to do?  Well, if I'm to believe what I so confidently told the kids last night, then:

#1 -- I have to BELIEVE Jesus when He says that He has overcome the world (and its troubles!)

#2 -- I have to TRUST in God, TRUST also in Jesus.

So I walked the mountain trail and talked a bit with Jesus about the troubles of life, and I believe that I found a little more trust to let Him work things out and a little more of the peace that He promises will come when I'm willing to let Him do that.  And somewhere along the way this old hym started playing in my mind:

So let us have a little talk with Jesus
Let us tell Him all about our troubles
He will hear our faintest cry
And He will answer by and by
And when you feel a little prayerful yearning
As your heart unto heaven is turning
You will find a little talk with Jesus makes it right.

And now any of you who are reading this and know the song, it'll be stuck in your head the rest of the day like it is in mine.  :)   But maybe that's not such a bad thing....

No comments: