Friday, July 12, 2013

Backyard Progress

So it's been a little while since I last talked about the backyard project.  A lot has happened in the past couple of months and the end is actually in sight.  Here are some pictures to show what's been happening....
 
By far the most difficult part of this whole journey has been getting the retaining wall built:
 
 



Yes, this is a cheesy posed picture to show that I did do something on this project!  My job on this day was driving almost 20 pieces of rebar into the ground.  Apparently I'm pretty good with a hammer and steel.   :)




You can't imagine the 'happy dance' that we did when we got to this point and the retaining wall was done!  What a job that was... 

 
We 'capped' the cinder blocks and dug out the center where the fire pit is going to go:
 

Jack putting the finishing touches on the fire pit construction!  :)


And this is what it looks like as of last night....  There is some 'tamping' to be done to make sure all the dirt is packed and level and then we have a driveway full of pea gravel to spread over the top.  We stained the concrete to give it a more natural look and that has to be sealed.  Then all that is left is to pull up some chairs, build a fire, and roast some marshmallows!! :)

 
And all was going well till last Sunday when we actually bought the fire pit kit and brought it home...  I was helping Jack unload the stones and that was fine until I went inside to do laundry, bent over, and something totally went out in my back.  THAT was not good.  So I ended up in the ER on Monday morning.  They said I had probably strained a muscle and recommended a steroid shot, a round of prednisone, some muscle relaxers and pain killers.   I think I should have skipped the steroid shot... something apparently went wrong when they gave me that and I had a terrible reaction.  It hurt bad enough that I almost passed out... it freaked out the poor nurse who gave me the shot.  :)  Well, that landed me in a trauma room and I ended up having to stay another hour or so for observation, so that was fun...  not.  All turned out OK in the end...  I've spent the last week mostly on the couch or in bed, out of work, and taking it easy.  Today I am finally feeling better and we'll see how work goes tomorrow...  My job isn't exactly easy on the back.  But I'm looking forward to getting out of the house.  :)
 
And that is the latest for now.  I hope that by the time this weekend is over, I might be able to post finished pictures of the fire pit!! :)
 
 

No comments: