Monday, March 2, 2009

And the Winner Is...

...um, well -- not me, exactly. It was a 19 year old kid from Pell City who ran like the wind and finished this race in about half the time that I did! BUT, the 'winning' for me was in the finishing, which I did in a time of 1 hour, 2 minutes and 7 seconds... that put me coming in 13th out of 15th in my age group and certainly gives me some room for improvement. But I'm SO happy that I ran and finshed that race. Running into the 30mph wind gusts was crazy -- and I have to thank my husband for running ahead of me the last 1/2 mile to try and block that last brutal headwind and make it a little easier for me to get to the finish line. It was nice to have him run with me and keep me company on this first race -- much to the sacrifice of his own finishing time in a race that he could have run much faster than me! But what a great feeling to accomplish that goal. :-) I really never thought I'd be able to run a 10K -- or to run for an hour straight for that matter! I think I need to learn to run faster just so that I don't have to run for so long! haha But now that I've done it in the freezing cold and wind, I'm actually looking forward to a couple of months from now when the weather might be a little kinder, to see how that will feel... I imagine it will still feel like 6.2 miles. ;-) But right now I'm just grateful for the good health that God has blessed me with to get through 2 months without being sick and without getting hurt... and the strength that I needed mentally to see this thing through. So all the glory goes to God. :-)

No comments: