Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Handprints on My Heart

Well, I certainly have fallen off the goal of posting every day my thoughts about thankfulness.  I think perhaps I wasn’t committed enough to the idea to really make it happen.  And maybe I will blame being at the Sr. High Retreat over the weekend where I not only didn’t have wi-fi, but didn’t even have cell phone service – what’s a girl to do?   ;-)  But I’m back and wanted to post a thought that’s been brewing over the last few days.

Here are a few lines from the song “For Good” from Wicked:

So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend


Like I said in my last post, this musical is going to be with me for a while…  and the lines from this song have been playing over and over in my mind.   I sat today for a while and went back in time remembering friendships that have changed my life.  There are many.  I actually hate to make a list at the risk of leaving anyone out, but these are the names that came to mind as I ticked through the years... Lise’, KK, Kecia, Lori, Ginger, Sara, Noreen, Kristen, Regina, Toni, Melissa, Laura W., Lilliana, Wendy, Pam, Dorothy, Nancy, Laura M., Judy, Virginia, Colleen, Carol, Amy, Kathryn, Roseanne, Lynn, Cindy, Brenda, Tara, Tanya, Courtney, Misty, Lisa… a vast array of friends from all parts of my life.  Each has impacted me in ways that have forever changed me.  And I love the visual image of the ‘handprint on my heart.’  That’s really what it’s like, isn’t it?  People who touch your lives leave a distinct mark that forever shapes you along life’s journey.  I’m realizing that there have been so many life lessons, happy ones and hard ones, that have been learned in the fiery furnace of friendships over the years and tonight I’m thankful for all of it…  and as the song goes on to say:

Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
I do believe I have been changed for the better.
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good.

No comments: