Saturday, July 14, 2012

From the mouths of babes...

Last night I was fortunate to get to attend the wedding of Mike and Danette Sigler.  It was a beautiful ceremony held outside just as the sun was going down on the grounds of a beautiful farm just down the road from where I live.    Fortunately, the rain held off just long enough for Mike to get to kiss his bride, and then it couldn't hold back any longer. 

But there was this moment that I wanted to remember that really didn't have that much to do with the wedding itself, but it was just one of those things that totally grabbed my attention and spoke to me in a really neat way.  Clyde Jones was 'officiating' and I believe this happened right after the exchange of rings....  he stopped to say a prayer.  Well, just as he began to pray, this precious little baby girl a couple of rows in front of me, who was the cutest thing and was as happy as could be, started saying, "Dadadadadadada......."   I heard her and looked up and had this sudden thought that it was so ironic to hear her babbling "da..da.." as Clyde was praying to our Father in heaven.      For everyone around her, maybe it just sounded like babytalk gibberish  --- but to her daddy, that is the sweetest sound in the world.   It made me wonder if sometimes that is exactly what God hears when we pray to Him.   And even when we are struggling and trying to get the 'right' words out in prayer, to Him, it is the most beautiful sound in the world...

Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him.  Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (Jesus speaking in Mark 14:36)

And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, “Abba, Father."  (Paul speaking in Galatians 4:6)

No comments: