Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 2 - Loving God

So I have committed Mark 12:29-31 to memory and have recited it several times throughout the day today...  I like having that on my heart and mind. :)

Today's reading focused on loving God.  My favorite "one-liner" from today was this:

"To love God means to yearn for, to pray for, and work for what glorifies God and what puts God in God's place in your life."

I like the idea of putting God in God's place in my life. :)

And then there was this thought:

"David Gill writes of two kinds of love:  table-love, which is the love of fellowship and commnuion, and cross-love, which is the love seen in sacrifice and devotion.  We might add that we findv this first kind of love, table-love, through his second kind of love, cross-love.  We could say that we find delightful communion with God by giving ourselves to God just as we find delighttful communion with a friend or lover by giving ourselves to the other.  Jesus calls us to the cross-love of God by giving to God our heart, soul, mind, and strength - and on the other side, we find table-love with God."

I think, perhaps, I know this 'cross-love' that Gill speaks of... but it is the 'table-love' that still feels elusive to me and that I so desire.  Perhaps that means that there is still more of the 'cross-love' that I need to learn and to practice and then one day I may find myself more fully on the other side in the 'delightful communion' of table-love with my friend Jesus.
 

No comments: