Wednesday, February 13, 2013

40 Days Living the Jesus Creed

In a rather last minute move (I decided to do this yesterday!), I decided I wanted to do something for Lent this year.  I've never done anything before - never thought much about it, really.  But I saw a link to this book by Scott McKnight and thought it would be good.  I decided that I would read each day's devotional and post something from what I've read each day.  I know Lent is usually a season of giving up something to help focus more on Jesus and his sacrifice for us, but I somehow felt the need to take something on that I hope will help me to intentionally draw near to Jesus in this time.  Of course, I also find that in doing the reading and blogging, I'm also giving up some of my creature comforts to take the time to do this, and that's a good thing. :)   (Like right now, I'm already being sorely tested, having just walked in the door at 9:30 from a very long day.  Mostly I just want to eat my ice cream and go collapse in bed. ha)

So, the focus of today's reading was on the Shema. (in the form that Jesus told us to remember it):

"Hear, O Israel:  the Lord our God, the Lord is one;  you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."  The second is this, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  There is no other commandment greater than these.

McKnight is urging everying to commit this to memory and repeat it as often as you think of it throughout the day...  "To remind ourselves, in a sacred rhythm, that our central tasks are to love God and to love others."   And I love what he says just after this and it is my takeaway from today...  "It is one thing to do what seems to be right or good and just;  it is another thing to love God and to love others - all day long with every ounce of our being."

This is the shift I find myself needing right now - not just trying to do good, but learning to love God and others with every ounce of my being - there's not much room for self in that equation.  So challenging. 

1 comment:

Lisa notes... said...

So glad to see this, Kay! I'll look forward to what you'll be sharing, and decide if I should get that book myself. I actually have the original book "The Jesus Creed" on my re-read list for this year, so hopefully this will spur me on to actually do it. :-)