Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 5 - The Divine Dance


The mysterious idea of the trinity has been explained to me in many ways over the years but this is the first time I have seen it described this way -- as a dance.  I love picture-images like this that help me get grasp on things that are beyond my sense of reason.  I realize this kind of imagery doesn't help everyone, but it helps me. :) 

How are the three “one”? Here are Jesus’ own words: “the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” The oneness of the Father and the Son is the oneness of mutual indwelling of one another. Now, if we add to the Father and the Son the third person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, we arrive at something distinct to our Christian faith: the Father and the Son and the Spirit are one because they indwell one another....
To say the three are one is to say the one God is a community of mutually indwelling persons where each person delightfully dances with the other in endless holy love...
I do marvel at how well some people can dance. Their entire bodies seem to be overwhelmed by the music and the beat and the meaning of the words. Somehow the body moves in such a way that the music begins to take on bodily form. We might say that the dance incarnates the music, just as the Son incarnates the dance of the Trinity. God is love. The music of God is love. Anyone who loves God and loves others is dancing, whether he or she knows it or not, to the divine dance. To love is to walk onto the divine dance floor...
Love isn’t something we produce. Love, like dancing, is surrendering to the music on the divine dance floor.

As I was reading this, 'So You Think You Can Dance' came to mind.  And this idea that the "dance incarnates the music" came to life for me.  When you watch people who really know what they are doing bring a piece of music to life with their dance, it's just beautiful.  And that gives me one more way to understand and think about Jesus ...  that He brings to life the love of the Father.

1 comment:

Lisa notes... said...

Love that video!

This makes me think of Chris Tomlin's song, "God's Great Dance Floor." :-)

You can listen and see lyrics here:
http://worshiptogether.com/songs/songdetail.aspx?iid=1975312