Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Good Doctor

You know, it's really not that often that I can say an experience at the doctor's office was just really, really good. So I thought I should mention it here today. :-) I took Mackenzie to see a dermatologist for the first time today to see if we could resolve some of the break-outs happening on her face. (I'm sure she'd love to know that I'm writing about that on my blog - ha!) Anyway, we had an appointment for 11:00 this morning with a doctor that I just picked out of a list of doctors provided by our insurance. So we show up at 10:45 (yes, I was actually early - I know it's hard to believe!!) and sign in. Pretty quickly, I get called up to the desk, only to find a very bewildered receptionist asking me if I was SURE that I had an appointment for today, because I was not on their schedule. (I know, it's not really sounding like it's a good experience just yet -- but hang on.) After a few calls and some whispering with other administrative people behind the desk, she very politely explained that Mackenzie was 'in the system,' but apparently they had forgotten to schedule the appointment. I was expecting to be sent home, but then she promptly made us a folder, handed me the required stack of paperwork to fill out for new patients and told us to have a seat. I was grateful to find that in some places the 'customer is always right' is still in practice. She actually trusted that I had written the appointment down correctly and they had gotten it wrong -- imagine that?! :-) Anyway, I did prepare myself at that point to have to wait a while, though, since I now knew that they would be having to 'work us in.' Well, I hadn't even made it through the first paper I was filling out when they called us back! We sat in the room for about 2 minutes and in came the doctor. Dr. Lon Raby. Here's the cool thing -- he noticed Mackenzie's 'Unbound' t-shirt that she had on (the group from Oklahoma Christian University that came to perform for us) and told us that his family had hosted a teen from there this summer -- and then he asked us where we go to church. So I told him and it turns out he goes to Mayfair. So that was a nice 'plus' in the whole thing. Well, he took care of Mackenzie, we checked out -- and I swear we walked out the door at 11:15!! I couldn't believe it. :-)

Well, when I started this I thought it was going to be a quick story -- but somehow my stories are never really like that - ha. Anyways, if you're looking for a good dermatologist at some point, I'd have to say that I would recommend Dr. Raby. :-)

No comments: