Thursday, November 6, 2008

Collide




Well, it was an interesting morning today. Not what I had in mind. About 2 minutes after Cindy showed up for our usual Thursday morning workout, I got a phone call from Jack. He and Mackenzie had been in an accident going over Governor's drive on the way to school. Luckily no one was hurt - but as you can see, the car didn't fare so well.
So Mackenzie had just started driving to school this week. She's been doing great driving and had been asking about taking this next step. So her first time to drive was on Monday and I remember Jack calling to tell me that it was a little more stressful way for him to start out his morning than usual! ;-) And then today, apparently traffic was backed up and 2 cars ahead of her, a guy stopped kinda fast, then the girl in front of her (also a HHS student) had to stop quick and well, Mackenzie just didn't stop quick enough and ran into the girl in front of her and pushed her into the guy in front of them both. It didn't hurt the guy's car at all - good for him since he still had the dealer plates on his new Jetta! And the Landrover in front proved that their cars really are built pretty good -- not too much damage. And then there was our 'Green Machine.' :-) Poor thing -- it got the worst of it. I'm not so sure it will be coming home again... guess we'll see. And Mackenzie was very sad - she really loved that car.
So as Jack and I sat at breakfast after this was all over and contemplated this new understanding we now have of OUR parents and what they felt when we had our first accidents way back when, it was all kind-of surreal. Can we really be at that place in life where we're dealing with our teenager's first car accident? Wow, where does time go?..... and when did we get to be the grown-ups? ha
So I have to explain where I got the title for this post. When I picked Mackenzie up from school today and we were driving home, she was looking at songs on her ipod and made this comment - "Oh, it would have been pretty funny if this song "Collide" by Skillet had been on when I had my accident this morning!" (That's one of her favorite songs.) Yeah, right... funny. NOT! ;-)

No comments: