Monday, November 10, 2008

Accident Report


A little update on Mackenzie's accident from last week. Today I have been dealing with obtaining an accident report and I'm now trying to hunt down my insurance contact and get an email address from her so I can send it on to her. One thing I will say, this day and age of doing things electronically is SO nice. You just pull up the police website and you can download your accident report for a mere $12.50. Of course, if you actually go and get it in person, it's only $10.00. But it was worth the $2.50 not to have to leave my house today. :-) A month ago I could have also made the argument that it would have cost me more in gas to go in person, but gas prices have come down enough now that I'm not sure I can say that any more....


Accident reports are interesting to read. First, I was really curious as to what the police officer would report about the accident. If there was any doubt at all about who was at FAULT in this accident, well, that's all been cleared up. ha And you know our policemen was very nice, but I don't think that spelling is a requirement for the job. ;-)

Then there are the individual reports from the drivers involved:
"Car #3" "Morning Traffic on Governors. Approx. 7:30am. Just Past Parkhill Rd going west (coming down Mountain into HSV). Traffic was slowing down to stop; car behind was hit which pushed it into my car."

All the capitalization was his in that first sentence -- guess at some point he decided that he didn't need to do that through the whole report.

"Car #2" "Bumper to Bumper traffic. Hit the brakes. Came to a complete stop. Car behind me hit my rear bumper which caused me to hit the car in front of me."

She started with the capitalization thing, too. Maybe that's just what you do when you're stressed out!

"Car #1" "I was driving down northbound Governor's Drive in heavy traffic. The vehicle in front of me stopped abruptly, and I did not stop quick enough. I rear-ended the car in front of me."

Well, I'm glad that even in stressful situations, my daughter can still put a complete sentence together with relatively proper capitalization - even though she didn't know she was going westbound instead of northbound. :-)

Well, not too long ago when Mackenzie first started driving, I was thinking how nice it was that when you add a 15 year-old driver with a permit onto your insurance, that it doesn't change your premiums at all.... well..... at least not until you have an accident. ha I just wonder if it will be her father's or my name that will bear the 'step up' on the premiums. ;-) Ah, all the fun things you learn along life's way... but as those things go, this is very minor in the grand scheme of things. And thank God for that....





No comments: