Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Impossible! Or is it?.....

I had one of those mornings today where I stopped before I read my bible and really asked God to speak to me through His word today so that I could see Him and hear Him clearly. I don't always stop to do that quite so specifically, but I imagine I should do it more!

So I opened up in my reading and today was about Abraham and Sarah and the promise of them having a son. I got to the part about Sarah standing at the entrance of her tent and laughing to herself as she overhears the promise that she will bear a son in about a year's time. After hearing Sarah laugh, the Lord says to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son." (Gen 18:13-14)

It's funny how thoughts can all come together at times. Things like having a birthday recently and holidays like yesterday and such tend to get me thinking about how much can change in a year's time. So that's already been on my mind. Then I read about Sarah today and the doubt that flooded her mind as she heard this promise being made to Abraham. I had to ask myself, "How easy is it for me to be just like Sarah? Am I standing at the entance of my 'tent' and laughing (or maybe crying!) quietly to myself, struggling to believe the promises that God has for me?" But it was so reassuring to hear God's clear and confident voice in response to my doubt as I read these words... "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" And as I read that, I could hear Jesus saying to his disciples, "With man this is impossible, but all things are possible with God." And then Paul's words, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Of course, it's always helpful to have 'the rest of the story' right at your fingertips. I can read on just a little further and see a year on down the road in Abraham and Sarah's life and know that God, indeed, did just as He said He would. What seemed absolutely impossible in Sarah's mind was never too hard for God to accomplish. So it makes me wonder what another year from now will look like in my life? And no, I'm not hoping to have a baby!! ;-) But I do want to place my hopes in God's hands and know that nothing is too hard for Him!


Just for fun, I found this picture of the "Impossible Triangle" done with dice. It's a pretty amazing optical illusion. The more you stare at it, the more your mind wants to make sense out of it but just can't - it's impossible! :-)

No comments: