Thursday, November 20, 2008

Man's Best Friend


After one of my walks up on Green Mountain a week or so ago, I started thinking about Mandy and how much of a dog lover I've become. I didn't grow up with dogs - I mostly had cats - and I was the last one in the family to 'want' to have a dog. I definitely didn't want one in the house! Well, all that changed when we brought this cute little puppy home almost 4 years ago. :-) I fell in love with this silly dog and now she's more like another family member than a dog... I hope she doesn't read this, because she doesn't really know that she's a dog. ha Anyways, that thought, "Man's Best Friend," popped into my head and then this idea for a poem came to mind... so here goes:

Man’s Best Friend

I think I’m beginning to understand
That old saying about “man’s best friend”
These days it seems that my dog Mandy
Has truly become my biggest fan(dy)
(sorry, that was really corny)

I realize there are things that she knows
That thankfully she can never disclose
But… oh the stories that she could tell
Of confessions heard and tears that fell

From long walks up on top of Green Mountain
Around the lake and past the water fountain
To back porch writings and conversations with God
Listening outside my closet door between sobs

She’s heard it all and then some more
And it doesn’t seem that she ever gets bored
Wherever I am, that’s where she wants to be
It’s funny how comforting that is when you’re in need.

Yes, ‘man’s best friend,’ so loyal and true
There when you need her no matter what you’re going through
I’m grateful for my dog these days
And the loving devotion that never fades.





No comments: