Monday, November 24, 2008

Look out below...


...that's what I think when I see this picture of Anna. ;-) I was reminded yesterday of how L--O--N--G a gymnastics meet can last! And of how unforgiving this sport really is... We spent about 4 hours yesterday at the Huntsville Gymnastics Fall Meet at the VBC watching some of Anna's old teammates start their competition season. Of the girls that she has 'grown up' with in gymnastics, only 2 are still competing. After being away from the gym for a while, it was good to see how much they have improved and the new things they've learned since last year. Amazing, really. But there are still judges to impress, other gyms to compete with, and always just that ONE mistake that can cost you a finish on the podium. THAT surely never changes.

It was a little weird being there as a 'spectator' and not a mom of a gymnast or one of the crazy people working behind the scenes at the meet. I had flashbacks of doing that last year as I looked down at the coaches eating area and passed by the 'Judges Hospitality Room' and thought that I didn't miss doing that at all! ha But I must confess that I really did miss seeing Anna out there on the floor as one of the competitors. She was always fun to watch. :-) (even when it was nerve-racking!) Of course, she had the best time she's ever had a meet because she got to watch and help out some and there was NO PRESSURE! :-)

Anyways, I found that picture of her above at the meet last year. She's just coming off the high bar doing a 'fly-away' dismount. That's a pretty scary move and one that she didn't like too much. But part of gymnastics is about mastering your fears and I'm continually amazed at how all these girls do that. And it's made me think a little bit about the 'life lesson' in that -- God never promises a life without fears or challenges, etc... but how well am I 'mastering' mine? hmmmm..... good question.

No comments: