Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resolutions





Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions. Not so much because I think they aren't a good thing -- I actually think they are. But more because I'm so bad at keeping them... I can't handle the failure! ;-) For example: I had a goal at the beginning of last year to run a 10K race. I've done a couple of 5K races and really enjoyed it, but the idea of running farther than that has been somewhat of a mental block for me. Well, it was a nice goal, but I never put a plan in action to achieve it, so no 10K for me last year. So this year, I'm back to wanting to run that elusive 10K. So I went looking for a 'plan' online the other night and found this neat website that I thought was worth sharing. http://www.mapmyrun.com/ The best thing about it is this feature where you can pull up maps of anywhere you want and mark off a course, and it will tell you what the distance is. I have a few 'routes' around here that I run, but I'm always wondering how far I'm really going... now I know! :-) And, there's a training log where you can keep up with all sorts of info about your runs and workouts, etc. It makes it all kinda fun - if you can get past the reality of the sore muscles from actually DOING the running and workouts. haha

So now I have an 8 week training plan that is supposed to have me running a 10K distance by the end of February. Wow -- that seems so soon. But I'm on track so far and feeling pretty hopeful about it all. So this year I'm going to run the 10K Cotton Row race for the first time... that's my 'resolution.'

No comments: