Friday, January 9, 2009

He Loves Me

Over Christmas, I finished reading this book, "He Loves Me" by Wayne Jacobsen. It is something of companion book to "The Shack." So if you liked "The Shack" and are looking for more of the same kind of thoughts on 'living in the Father's affection' -- this is such a good book. It's one that I will be reading again and lingering in a bit more. Here's what the author of "The Shack" had to say about this book:

"For those of us who are longing to 'live loved', I cannot recommend a better follow-up to The Shack than this book. It is an exploration and adventure into the heart of the God we hoped was truly there, and who loves each of us in particular with an everlasting love."

I'm not one to go to the end of a book and read what happens, so I apologize for what I'm about to do. This is the very last couple of paragraphs in the book and a translation of I Peter 4:1-2 from The Message that I'm memorizing and holding on to...

His invitation is for us to come and live as loved as we already are. Take the risk to discover that, and you'll never be disappointed. He knows best about everything and there is no situation in which he cannot work his glory into your life. As you watch him do that in your life, it will become much easier to follow him. Your trust in him will grow, and astounding transformations will occur in your life.

You'll notice it in the most surprising ways as, over time, your own thoughts, ideals, and actions gradually shift to reflect his. You'll catch yourself responding in situations totally differently from how you've responded in the past. You'll find yourself thinking, I'm not like this. And yet you are. You always have been, it's just that your life was distorted and twisted by a broken relationship with the Father who has always loved you more than you can possibly conceive.

This is the joy of this journey - a restored relationship with the Father who made you and a transformed life that allows you to live free even in this broken age. I can think of no better place to end than with the words of Peter as translated by Eugene Peterson in The Message. I have found the truth in this Scripture to be a beacon that invites me ever onward and closer to him:

"Since Jesus went through everything you're going through and more, learn to think like him. Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want." I Peter 4:1-2

OK -- as I typed this out it occurred to me that phrases like "you'll never be disappointed" "astounding transformations" and "you'll respond totally differently than you have in the past" feel a little bit like a 'pipe dream' to me... maybe I'm too cynical or maybe he's overstating things a bit -- but I HAVE begun to see myself thinking and responding differently in ways to things and situations and it has really 'surprised' me at times. And I do believe that's coming from this realization that I do have a 'Father who has always loved me more than I can possibly conceive." :-)

By the way -- if you've actually stuck this out and read this far, and are interested in reading the book for yourself, you can go to this website, www.lifestream.org and download the 1st edition of this book for free.

1 comment:

Lisa notes... said...

Okay--you sealed the deal at the "download this book for free" section. You know I can't pass that up, so I'll be reading. :-)

I'm glad this book has ministered to you so profoundly of God's love. We need a whole new level of adjectives/adverbs to describe it, huh?

BTW, I refrained from commenting on the post of my fav dog Mandy laying (lying?) on your clean towels. ha. I'll BYOT next time I come to your house...