Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Day in History


It seemed to me that I couldn't let this day go by without a post... it has been a pretty amazing day in history. The inauguration of our 44th President -- and our first African-American president. I watched the whole thing unfold as I sat huddled in my bed under a nice warm blanket with a bowl of hot soup -- and my dog snoring at the end of the bed. Somehow, the significance of the moment was lost on her. ;-) Later, as I picked up my kids from school, I found out that both of them had seen most all of the events of the day in their classes at school. I'm glad they took the time there to see this happen. My sister called me sometime late in the afternoon -- she's very excited about our new president and the changes he hopes to bring. She had invited a couple of friends over for lunch to watch the inauguration and had intended it to be a pretty low-key kind of thing. But then South Carolina had a very unlikely 'snow day' today and her lunch with a couple of friends turned into quite a party when all the kids had to come along! I guess we all know how that is when the school system or weather gurus (whoever you want to blame!) mess up our best laid plans!! Anyway, I also noticed on facebook that my brother, a now 'ex-patriot' American living in Paris, is quite happy about the day as well. :-) Hmmm... I just realized that I forgot to ask my dad what he thought about the whole thing when I talked to him today -- we were just trying to get a trip to the Honda dealership worked out for tomorrow... oh well, sometimes the big events of life still get overshadowed by the smaller needs of the moment.

ANYWAYS, I, myself, am not so good when it comes to discoursing in the political arena. I just don't do my homework on the issues like I should to really know what I'm talking about. Usually that doesn't stop me from having some kind of opinion (ha), but here lately I find that when you are uninformed, it just seems better to keep your mouth shut and listen. So, on the lighter side of things, I was looking for a picture to post with these thoughts, and found the one above. First of all, I thought it was just an amazing, beautiful shot of the White House. But then, it also begs the question, "Who were the poor souls who had to clean snow off all those seats?!?!"

No comments: