Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Good Health Insurance

Today I was reminded that there are many things I take for granted. One of them would be always having good health insurance. Anna hurt her foot at gymnastics a couple of weeks ago, and it hasn't seemed really bad, but it's been bothering her. It's also been keeping her from training like she wants to. So I've been thinking about taking her to have it checked out and today we finally decided to go on to the doctor.

I called The Orthopedic Center and was pretty amazed to be told to come in right away. Of course, they did warn me that I might have a 2 hour wait! But we got in relatively fast, got an x-ray, saw the doctor, found out she's ok as far as the x-rays show, and were on our way. All for a co-pay of $20. :)

With all that is going on in our country right now about health care, I had to drive away and realize that if I didn't have good health insurance, I wouldn't have even been able to consider taking her to the doctor. It also makes me think about Jack's trip to the ER a few weeks ago after the triathlon. We're just now getting the hospital and doctor bills from all of that. Total cost to the insurance company? $1800.00 !!!! Total Cost to us? $45.00

I can't ever remember a time when I have had to worry about health insurance, and today I am pausing to just be thankful for that. Thankful that when one of us is sick, or hurt, or needs medicine, we have the means and ability to pay for it without going bankrupt. I don't know how to figure it out for everyone else, but a I pray for a time where that will be true for all people!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey. i was catching up on some of your blogs and realized you talked about jack having to go to the ER... what happened? and how is Anna's foot doing?!? Love you and miss you!