Thursday, November 19, 2009

Things to Smile About

Anna's 'gifted' class has moved on from the 'Mind Olympics' to creative cooking. :) So the cake pictured above is the first product of their gifted imaginations. Now, I'm thankful for two things here... hmmm... maybe three. First, I'm happy that they settled on a cooking theme for these next few weeks instead of the 'create and produce your own board game from scratch' idea. That was something that Anna and I talked about for a couple of days when she thought they were going to have to do that, and there were no smiles over THAT project. It was really nothing but overwhelming. But cooking -- now that's fun! :)

Jack was kind-of wondering what in the world a 'gifted' class was doing with the whole cooking thing... good question. I really don't have an answer. And I thought about being worried about it -- like she might not be getting enough out of this 7th grade elective class! But then it occurred to me that as busy as most of her life is, I'm glad that she's getting to spend 45 minutes in her day just doing something she really enjoys! :)



Finally, we got to enjoy the fruits of her labor today and I'm thankful for that. :) She came home with what we are calling "The Gifted Cake" today - I suppose it could rightfully be called a Thanksgiving Cake considering that it is adorned with an adorable Oreo Cookie Turkey... but whatever the case, it was a yummy Red Velvet cake that she was immensly proud of. And I think the Oreo Turkeys are going to be an entertaining activity to share with the cousins in a few days when we spend Thanksgiving with them. :)

Anyways, all of this is to say that I'm thankful for little things like this that just bring a smile to everyone. We got home from school, my dad was here doing a little work in my house, then Mackenzie got home -- and we all stood around admiring and enjoying a taste of Anna's cake. It was a nice moment. :)

No comments: