Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No One is Keeping Score but Me

This may sound like a strange thing to be thankful for, but here's the explanation. At some point in the middle of the night last night I woke up and suddenly realized that I hadn't posted anything yesterday on my blog. My 'goal' at the beginning of the month was to post something I'm thankful for every day and I've been able to keep up with that so far. Well, yesterday I forgot, plain and simple. I can't say I wasn't home to do it or anything like that. On the contrary, I spent the whole day on my computer! Working in my office, going thru piles of mail and junk, paying bills, answering emails.... until about 9:30 last night, literally. So much catching up to do - and I didn't even get to the Fruit Sale stuff that I get to spend today with. ;-)

So I woke up and can you believe THAT was what popped into my head? I forgot my thanksgiving post. And I was mad at myself. I've been doing so good!! I almost got up right then and went and did it - I thought it would make me feel better. :) But I didn't. You know I actually had a moment this morning where I wished I could find a way to change the time/date stamp on my post and make it LOOK like I had posted this yesterday!! ha. Silly, I know, but that IS the way my mind works. sigh.

Anyways, I'm finding a good lesson in all of this, though. And that's where my belated 'thanksgiving' is coming in. No one 'out there' is keeping score... the whole point of doing this was not to 'win' by posting something every day - it was to help me to be more thankful. :) So at just the moment where I was probably starting to feel a little bit of pride in being so consistent, I messed up and now I need some grace. And that's OK. Thankfully, God is always there ready to give grace for things SO much greater than this! Consider Isaiah 43:25...

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more."

If God isn't 'keeping score' when it comes to my sins, then I think I can let go of my 'missed day of posting' yesterday and get back on track today. :) And perhaps it's a step in the right direction of learning to forgive myself the way God has already forgiven and promised to remember my sins no more...






No comments: