Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rivalries

So much excitement happens in the waning moments of great rivalry football games. I witnessed one of those yesterday watching Alabama narrowly defeat their arch-rival Auburn Tigers. I'm watching another one, even as I write, between LSU and Arkansas.

Everyone is gathered around the TV. There's lots of screaming and disbelief. And oh..... there it is. Arkansas just lost in overtime. What a heartbreaker! This is the night you DON'T want to be the field goal kicker for the Razorbacks. Poor guy...

But what joy to be the kicker for LSU!! :) It's all perspective, huh?

So what am I thankful for in all of this? Well, mostly just the fun and camraderie of cheering on your favorite team together. It makes for lots of fun memories. And OK, yes, I'm thankful that Alabama did win yesterday and the dream for the National Championship lives on another week. :)

The past several years we created a bit of a tradition of watching the Alabama/Auburn game with the Burgesses over at my parents' house. It's always been fun having such die hard fans for BOTH teams in one place watching the game. And it's always been very civil. ;-) Of course, I think this is the first year that the game has been SOOOOO close -- and maybe it was best that it didn't work out for us to watch it together this year. haha

Tonight with the LSU/Arkansas game I didn't care quite as much about the outcome, but I enjoyed watching Jami suffer through wanting the Hogs to win. (sorry, Jami!) Now I've switched over to the Georgia/Georgia Tech game and am waiting to see how that one is going to go and I know my brother-in-law Tom is anxiously hoping the Yellow Jackets will make a last minute comeback in this game.


So much drama!

But it's all fun -- hmmm.... what will I do for excitement when football season is over? :)

No comments: